Be Sure to Test Your Carbon Monoxide Detector

The risk of fire is not the only danger when you use a fireplace and chimney system. Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a serious risk because it is an odorless, tasteless, and colorless gas that causes life-threatening organ damage and illness. There are still over 200 people across the nation that die each year from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by ventilation problems, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. The number is much higher according to Carbon Monoxide Kills, an organization to raise awareness of CO deaths. The best way to not become a statistic is to take measures to avoid carbon monoxide intrusion altogether.

Be Sure to Test Your Carbon Monoxide Detector - Milford, CT - The Cozy FlameThe Dangers of Carbon Monoxide Intrusion

High concentrations of carbon monoxide in your blood will result in death. A large leak can result in a rapid poisoning, but a slow leak can do it’s own damage. Exposure over a longer period can result in general illness, but can begin to shut down organs as exposure persists. A slow leak is quite dangerous, because it can go undetected, as the symptoms are the same as a common cold.

Avoid Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

You can avoid carbon monoxide poisoning by keeping your fireplace and chimney system properly maintained and by following proper guidelines. The best way to insure the system is working properly is to hire a professional to look it over. You should always have appliances and products professionally installed, but you should also have a professional service and assess the system. A CSIA certified chimney sweep can install your products and inspect the system from top to bottom and offer a full report on their findings and knows the safety regulations to follow in order to avoid problems in the future.

Despite your best efforts and that of your chimney sweep, problems can develop with your system and result in carbon monoxide intrusion. That’s why it’s best to invest in a carbon monoxide detector. You should purchase a detector from a local home improvement store and keep batteries in it at all times. This is most likely a requirement of your home owners insurance, but should definitely be a household rule.

uThe best time to install a carbon monoxide detector in your home is BEFORE you light your fireplace, furnace, or appliance for the first time. A CSIA certified sweep company puts the customer’s safety before anything else, and it’s not only fire safety. It’s our goal to keep your home safe from fire, particulate pollution, and hazardous gases. Part of this is testing your detector. You should test your carbon monoxide detector at least every six months. A simple way to remember would be to test it on the first of each month. It’s easy and may be the one thing that keeps your family from exposure.

Keep your family safe by purchasing products from a qualified retailer. The Cozy Flame offers the best products in the industry. Rated for the highest safety standard in the industry, we can match you with the fireplace of your dreams!

Contact The Cozy Flame today.

By Steve Sobczak | Tagged with: Tags: , , | Leave a Comment


Come See Us!

The Cozy Flame | 116 Research Dr. Suite Q, Milford, Connecticut 06460