The Cozy Flame's Blog

Be Sure to Test Your Carbon Monoxide Detector

The risk of fire is not the only danger when you use a fireplace and chimney system. Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a serious risk because it is an odorless, tasteless, and colorless gas that causes life-threatening organ damage and illness. There are still over 200 people across the nation that die each year from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by ventilation problems, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. The number is much higher according to Carbon Monoxide Kills, an organization to raise awareness of CO deaths. The best way to not become a statistic is to take measures to avoid carbon monoxide intrusion altogether.

Be Sure to Test Your Carbon Monoxide Detector - Milford, CT - The Cozy FlameThe Dangers of Carbon Monoxide Intrusion

High concentrations of carbon monoxide in your blood will result in death. A large leak can result in a rapid poisoning, but a slow leak can do it’s own damage. Exposure over a longer period can result in general illness, but can begin to shut down organs as exposure persists. A slow leak is quite dangerous, because it can go undetected, as the symptoms are the same as a common cold.

Avoid Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

You can avoid carbon monoxide poisoning by keeping your fireplace and chimney system properly maintained and by following proper guidelines. The best way to insure the system is working properly is to hire a professional to look it over. You should always have appliances and products professionally installed, but you should also have a professional service and assess the system. A CSIA certified chimney sweep can install your products and inspect the system from top to bottom and offer a full report on their findings and knows the safety regulations to follow in order to avoid problems in the future.

Despite your best efforts and that of your chimney sweep, problems can develop with your system and result in carbon monoxide intrusion. That’s why it’s best to invest in a carbon monoxide detector. You should purchase a detector from a local home improvement store and keep batteries in it at all times. This is most likely a requirement of your home owners insurance, but should definitely be a household rule.

uThe best time to install a carbon monoxide detector in your home is BEFORE you light your fireplace, furnace, or appliance for the first time. A CSIA certified sweep company puts the customer’s safety before anything else, and it’s not only fire safety. It’s our goal to keep your home safe from fire, particulate pollution, and hazardous gases. Part of this is testing your detector. You should test your carbon monoxide detector at least every six months. A simple way to remember would be to test it on the first of each month. It’s easy and may be the one thing that keeps your family from exposure.

Keep your family safe by purchasing products from a qualified retailer. The Cozy Flame offers the best products in the industry. Rated for the highest safety standard in the industry, we can match you with the fireplace of your dreams!

Contact The Cozy Flame today.

By Steve Sobczak | Tagged with: Tags: , , | Leave a Comment

Fireplace Safety Tips

Fireplace Safety Tips - Milford CT - The Cozy FlameGas fireplaces are a popular choice for many families because of their ease of use, low cost to operate, and cost savings and efficiency. In order to get the most use and enjoyment out of your fireplace, it is important to understand how to safely operate it. The following fireplace safety tips can help you get the most out of your gas fireplace.

1. Read the manual

One of the most important parts of fireplace safety is also the simplest – reading the manual. Because every fireplace unit is different, reading the manual can provide valuable safety information and operating instructions. Following the manufacturers instructions can not only help you get the most out of your fireplace, but it can help it last for years to come.

Likewise, being more familiar with your unit can help you if it malfunctions; check the manual before you call a fireplace repair company in case it is a problem you can fix yourself.

2. Keep children and pets away

While adults know not to touch the glass and metal of a gas fireplace, small children and pets may not know to be cautious. Because of this, thousands are injured each year from accidental fireplace burns. However, there are a number of ways to prevent these kinds of burns.

First, it is important to let anyone who may be in your home know that the glass and metal surrounding the fireplace are too hot to touch; even after the fireplace has been turned off, it can take several hours for the glass to cool down to room temperature. Next, a fireplace screen or screen door can be used to help keep little hands and paws away. Lastly, physical barriers such as baby gates are recommended to keep young children out of the room and away from the temptation of touching the fireplace.

In addition to preventing accidental burns, it is also important to make sure the fireplace cannot be accidentally turned on or off. Because so many children as enamored with the “magic” or turning the fire on and off with the press of a button, keeping the remote stored out of reach is an important way to make sure it is not being used without supervision. Likewise, child lock switches can be installed to prevent young children from turning on the fireplace.

3. Test alarms regularly

No matter what kind of fireplace you have, it is important to have working smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. While the vast majority of fireplaces will never malfunction or have safety problems, these alarms can help protect your family in the event of a fire or other problem. Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors should be installed on every floor of the home as well as outside of sleeping areas; test alarms every six months to ensure they are still working properly. In order to make sure they are up to date with the most recent safety technology, smoke and carbon monoxide detectors should be replaced when they stop working or at least every 10 years.

Owning a fireplace can add warmth, charm, and character to your home while also serving as a heat source or decorative focal point. Contact The Cozy Flame today for more information on fireplace safety or installing a new gas fireplace in your home.

Come See Us!

The Cozy Flame | 116 Research Dr. Suite Q, Milford, Connecticut 06460